Please contact Deputy Principal, Ms Suzanne Downs regarding Mãori Achieve. She can be contacted on 06 835 1069 ext 210 or emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Māori Achieve is a programme that works towards increasing the achievement of Māori students across all areas of the school. Aspects of the programme include:
- Mentoring of Māori students: This programme involves using mentors from the staff and senior Māori students trained as mentors for Junior Māori students. The guiding philosophy is on the ‘tuakana teina’ (big sister, little sister) relationship.
- Developing Māori Student Leadership: The school has a Manu Taki who is the prefect with the role of Māori leadership. She is supported by the Kahui Māori, a group of Year 12 and Year 13 Māori students who are elected to this role by the school.
- Careers work with Māori students: Specialised workshops are offered to Māori students at all levels of the school.
- Professional Development for staff: Areas of focus have been on powhiri, Māori art forms and on integrating kaupapa Māori into learning.
- Gathering data: Data is collected every year so that the school can report on issues such as Māori student retention and Māori student achievement.
- Whole school development: This is a continual development of Māori aspects of the school. A powhiri to welcome Year 9 and new teachers into the school at the beginning of each new year and the development of a school haka are recent additions.
- Community relationships: Three hui with parents and whanau are planned per year, designed for looking at ways to move forward together.