Important Information

Code of Practice: Napier Girls’ High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 Amendments.  The Code is available from the NZQA website at

Medical and Travel Insurance: International students must have appropriate and current medical travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.  Details of the policy used by most Napier Girls’ High School students are available at
Napier Girls’ High School can help to organise this insurance.

Eligibility for Health Services: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance: The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Other Useful Websites for Living in New Zealand
Water Safety New Zealand:
Alcohol laws and penalties:
Sun safety:
Earthquakes and other natural disasters:

Cell Phone Policy: Napier Girls' High School has a ban on cell phone use during the school day, 8.40am - 3.00pm. Please take note of the Cell Phone Policy.

Complaints Procedure for International students: The Code requires all institutions to have fair internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.

Firstly, the complaint should be directed to the appropriate person and, where possible, resolved cooperatively and at an early stage. The International Team will help you.

Please follow the steps below and complete an International student complaints form. If a complaint is of a very serious nature, we will immediately inform the Principal about the nature of the complaint.

Step 1:
If there is a problem with learning, please see Ms Lassen in L office.
If you have a problem with the homestay, please see Ms Stickley in L office.
If you have a problem in the hostel, please see the Hostel Manager in the Hostel office.
If you have a problem with friendships, please see Ms Lassen or Ms Stickley in L office.
If you are not feeling safe, please see Ms Lassen or Ms Stickley in L office.
If there is a problem about the school, please see Ms Lassen in L office.

Step 2:
If the problem cannot be resolved by discussion with a member of the International Team or should the complaint be more serious, it should be referred to Mr Otto, Deputy Principal. At this stage, all complaints must be in writing and signed by the student.

Step 3:
If you are still not satisfied with the matter you may ask the Board of Trustees to consider the matter. Follow up will be in writing by the Board or Principal.

Step 4:
If you have reached the end of the complaint process and you are not happy with the outcome, iStudent Complaints may be able to help.iStudent Complaints is available at the following website:

How to make a complaint